[issue61] Package being downgraded for no apparent reason

Raman Gupta at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Wed Dec 21 05:23:55 PST 2005

New submission from Raman Gupta <rocketraman at fastmail.fm>:

I have fedora-updates setup with priority 20. However, even
though updates has perl-3:5.8.6-22 (same as my local version) for some
reason smart insists on downgrading to perl-3:5.8.6-18. BTW, if I leave
the updates channel at the default priority, then for some reason I
don't get any new packages from updates, which is another problem I am
confused about (according to the FAQ, smart should pull in the latest
versions, so I shouldn't need the priority 20).

Below is the transcript -- I have also shown a query for mysql, which is
another package in updates and is working fine (smart is not trying to
downgrade it):

# smart --shell
Smart Package Manager 0.40 - Shell Mode
Updating cache...

smart> update

smart> query --show-channels --show-priority perl
perl-3:5.8.6-15 at i386 {0} [os]
perl-3:5.8.6-16.fc4 at i386 {20} [updates]
perl-3:5.8.6-18 at i386 {20} [updates]
perl-3:5.8.6-22 at i386 {10} [rpm-db]
perl-3:5.8.6-22 at i386 {20} [updates]

smart> upgrade

Downgrading packages (1):
  perl-3:5.8.6-18 at i386

11.5MB of package files are needed. 4.3kB will be freed.

Confirm changes? (Y/n): n

smart> query --show-channels --show-priority mysql
mysql-4.1.11-2 at i386 {0} [os]
mysql-4.1.14-1.FC4.1 at i386 {20} [updates]
mysql-4.1.15-1.FC4.1 at i386 {20} [updates]
mysql-4.1.16-1.FC4.1 at i386 {20} [rpm-db, updates]

It is interesting to note that the updates channel has both the -18
package and the -22 package. It is also interesting to note that mysql
displays the latest package version as being in both rpm-db and updates
at the same priority whereas perl shows them separately.

Here are the relevant channel definitions:

[updates]
type = rpm-md
name = Updated packages from Red Hat for Fedora Core 4 - i386
priority = 20
baseurl = http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/i386/updates

[rpm-db]
type = rpm-sys
name = RPM Database on this system
priority = 10

[os]
type = rpm-md
name = OS packages from Red Hat for Fedora Core 4 - i386
baseurl = http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/i386/core

There are other channels as well, but all at a lower priority and they do not
contain the perl package.

Lastly, if I DO let smart downgrade perl, then it asks to update it back to -22
on the next smart update.

messages: 175
nosy: rocketraman
priority: bug
project: smart
status: unread
title: Package being downgraded for no apparent reason