SuSE freeze fixed!

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Wed Dec 7 13:09:28 PST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Aschwin Marsman wrote:

> > > If you're comparing the parsing speed of Smart with yum, don't do
> > > it. yum doesn't do the work smart does while processing the metadata
> > > information.
> >
> > Yes, I was thinking of that very problem ;)
>
> The biggest disappointment when going from Red Hat to SUSE was the slow
> update process because of SuSEconfig. smart is much faster than
> SuSEconfig when you have a lot of packages installed. The SuSEconfig
> should be reconsidered in my humble opinion, it is doing things that are
> unneeded most of the time and takes a lot of time. Any improvements for
> 10.x?

Just to clear this up: SuSEconfig doesn't have anything todo with YaST vs.
smart vs. any other package manager. You should just run SuSEconfig after
you have installed new packages, i.e. you don't have to have it run after
each single package install, but after a package installation transaction.
Anyway, SuSEconfig isn't slow at all (it takes some 20-30 seconds) and
takes care of a lot of thinks which is quite helpful in my opinion.

Having said this, let's all be smart and get back on topic... ;)

Regards
	Christoph