Understanding Prioritization

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Dec 21 15:12:47 PST 2005

> What kind of spread are we talking about? Nothing as yet has been
> explained very weill? The numbers themselves are not positive but

In my answer to your original email:

"""
A package priority is currently considered in two distinct moments:
[...]
2) When there are multiple alternatives for satisfying a dependency,
   a package having a higher priority has more chances of being
   selected to satisfy the dependency. That's not an isolated
   decision though. For instance, if installing a package with a
   higher priority would mean including dozens of other dependencies,
   the priority *difference* between the higher priority package and
   the other packages should be big enough to justify the change.
"""

I'm trying to explain, I'm trying to colaborate, but you must
help a bit as well. ;-)

> negative numbers (as suggested by the FAQ). I have put the priorities
> negative numbers leaving the top kde-redhat repos at default that is,
> priority 0 (as suggested by the FAQ).
>
> So. again the kde-redhat as priority 0, Freshrpms as -1 (negative 1) and fc4
> repos at (-5). Could please suggest appropriate values.

Try e.g. -1000 for the repository you don't want to upgrade from,
for instance.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net