anything similar to apt-rpm's "Hold" functionality?

Jim Faulkner james.faulkner at yale.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:44:45 PST 2005

Hi,

I'd like to set up smart to not automatically install kernel updates, but
at least let the user know when kernel updates are available.  apt-rpm's
"Hold" functionality serves this purpose well, since when packages are
held and an "apt-get upgrade" is run, apt will print out something like
this:
The following packages have been kept back
  kernel kernel-devel kernel-doc kernel-hugemem-devel kernel-smp
  kernel-smp-devel

smart's "lock" setting comes close to providing this, however it doesn't
inform the user what packages are not being upgraded because of locking,
so the user will never know when new kernel packages are available.

Is there a way to inform the user about any package upgrades that are
being ignored because of locking?

On a related note, running "smart upgrade --ignore-locks" does not ignore
package locks, like I presumed it should.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or
if I just don't understand what --ignore-locks does.

thanks,
Jim Faulkner