[issue51] More friendly gui ?

Mathieu Clabaut at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Mon Nov 28 01:29:29 PST 2005

New submission from Mathieu Clabaut <mathieu.clabaut at gmail.com>:

It happens very often, that the smart process flow is interrupted by a popup
only used to inform the user, which has no other choice than to click the "OK"
button (a repository is not available, the user has click on cancel,...).

It seems to me quite cumbersome and not useful. Depending on the window
manager you are using, the popup will catch the focus, breaking the user
action. Or if the window manager is set to prevent the focus to be stolen, the
alert popup can be set hidden behind a pile of other windows.
And more than once, I launch a smart action, then go to some other tasks,
expecting smart to have done its job when returning, but then finding that it
has stop its job only to say me that a repository was unavailable... Quite
frustrating :-)

It would be nice to replace all those useless popup, by an information
subwindow/panel, and to let smart do its job without interruption (unless an
internal fatal error is encounter).

Of course I have no patch to propose :-(

Apart this suggestion, I must say that smart is wonderful !

messages: 130
nosy: mathieu.clabaut
priority: wish
project: smart