SmartPM and different architectures

smart.labix.org at robertwoolley.com smart.labix.org at robertwoolley.com
Fri Nov 25 13:09:08 PST 2005

Hi,

	I've been playing around with SmartPM for the past little while.  I'm really impressed with it.

	I'm hoping to enhance it to allow it to be used to create a rootfs
for an embedded device.

	So far, I've managed to isolate it from the HOST system with its own RPM DB.  ( I'm actually running on Ubuntu Breezy, but the Python rpm module was a pain to install so I'm using a chroot'd Fedora Core 4 install at the moment. )

	My biggest problem at the moment is that the HOST architecture
(x86) is not the same as my target architecture (PPC e500).  My ppc rpms
are in Smart's cache, however they don't appear in the query results.

	I've been digging around in the code, but I can't find the part
where the packages are being filtered from the list.  Do the Loaders in
backend/ do this or does some other system perform this task?

	I'm new to Python, so any additional suggestions regarding IDE and
debugging tools would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob