[issue18] upgrade cycling between two sets of packages

agforsyth at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Sun Oct 9 15:14:20 PDT 2005

New submission from agforsyth <agforsyth at gmail.com>:

Essentially, I have two differnet experiences where smart is causing cyclical
upgrades on Fedora Core 4 with smart version 0.39. All the repos I have are
configured as rpm-md repos.

1. I have alsa-lib and libasound2 from atrpms.net. I have planetccrma also
enabled. smart wants to replace those packages with the alsa-lib from
planetccrma, which provides libasound2 as well. If I do this, on my next upgrade
it will try and remove the planetccrma packages and install the ones from
atrpms. If I try with yum, it will upgrade to the atrpms packages and stay there.

2. I have mplayer and directfb from atrpms.net installed. smart upgrade wants to
replace them with directfb from extras and mplayer from freshrpms. If I do it,
the next upgrade will want to go back to the atrpms packages. If I try yum, this
happens:
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package directfb.i386 0:0.9.22-2.fc4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.20 for package: mplayer
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.20 is needed by package mplayer

Attached is info about the packages and what happens when I upgrade then upgrade
again.

----------
files: smart.cycles.log
messages: 45
nosy: agforsyth
priority: bug
project: smart
status: unread
title: upgrade cycling between two sets of packages

Labix issue tracker <tracker at labix.org>
<http://tracker.labix.org/issue18>