User-friendly?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Oct 27 20:55:14 PDT 2005

I've recently been trying 'smart' on SuSE 10.0.  [My previous
mainstay for the downloading of packages was 'apt'.]

I like the GUI, because it tells me __all__ the packages (i.e.,
builds) that are available across all the channels.  But my god,
I'm overwhelmed by the number of "headers"!   My conclusion --
if the user of 'smart' KNOWS what package he is looking for, he
can expand the appropriate header in GUI, or can use 'search'.

But 'search' does an __unintelligent__ comparison (e.g., 'dvd'
in automatic mode shows all the packages which contain the
string 'dvd' as part of the package_name).  For those users who
DON'T know what package_names they are looking for, I believe
it would be much more user-friendly if "smart" could for example
assist the user who asks: "What packages do I need to have, if I
simply want to play a DVD ?"

mikus