[smart] We have moved!

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Sun Sep 25 20:21:33 PDT 2005

We have a new home!

First, I'll talk a little bit about the reasons behind the
change, then I'll talk about the new features we have.

We have several different reasons for the move, so I'll explain
some of them shortly to share my pain with you:

- Last week the Smart mailing list got disabled in its server
  without any notice because someone removed the alias which
  linked the mailing list with the server.

- My account on linux-br.conectiva.com.br was completely removed
  in the last couple of days without any notice, thus deleting all
  Smart source code releases and the online README.html file which
  were stored there.

- For some time I've been bothered by the way the Trac issue system
  works regarding emails. Basically it doesn't inform reporters
  about new changes, so I had to mail people personally and update
  the ticket at the same time.

So, our new infrastructure is now located in a server that I'm
paying and managing personally (it's services, not the machine
itself), so I expect those issues won't be repeating in the
near future.

The first thing you may have already noticed is that the mailing
list is now operating under a new address:

  smart at labix.org

It's operating with mailman, which has the web interface you're
used to. The interface is at:

The new website itself running with moin, and is located at:

  http://labix.org/smart

We'll be making use of its access control benefits in the near
future to produce documentation for Smart (more on this later).

Another important change was the issue tracking system. I've
researched about many different products to do that job, and
found out that roundup was the most interesting one for our
specific needs.

Besides having a very nice web interface, we're now able
manage tickets by email in a very straightforwad way, and
people will also be notified about changes made in the
tickets like one would expect.

The issue tracking system is at:

  http://tracker.labix.org

And it's email interface works at:

  tracker at labix.org

Notice that I'll still be considering the currently open tickets
in the old issue tracker. You don't have to move tickets, unless
you want to (which would be nice :-).

Anyway, that message is long enough already. I'll be writing
a new one in the next few minutes about plans for the
forthcoming future.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net