bugs: smart on fc5

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Apr 12 09:17:52 PDT 2006

> no, the return from info.getDescription() is None in some cases... but
> you are right: maybe the info class should return an empty string.

It shouldn't be None, ever. If it's None in some cases, that's the
bug that should be fixed. Following the path of how description gets
there, I couldn't find a reason for it to be None. Can you please
tell me what channel types you're using?

> well that is somehow awkward, don't you think? i have not seen any
> command-line programs that stop working if your terminal does not have
> some capability. without .encode() smart info just stops with an error.
(...)

Agreed. But in that case the error is somewhere else, and I'd be
glad to have more information about it. We can't encode things to
a fixed encoding. Just like you expect it to "just work", people
using iso-8859-1 or whatever is used in their terminals expect
the same thing as well.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net