bugs: smart on fc5

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Apr 25 05:02:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Darko Veberic wrote:
>
> The problem is that rpm data (like description) does not supply a clear and
> unambiguous encoding.
>
> Without a known encoding, a transformation is very tricky, as guessing the
> encoding from a string is not simple.
>
> Unknown encodings for metadata strings is a fundamental design problem in rpm,
> not smart, and needs to be
> fixed within rpm. The work to force utf-8 encodings onto all rpm metadata is
> well underway, should be in rpm-4.4.7
> final when released.

Hey Jeff,

Are there any recommendations for packagers to work around this for older
(all existing) RPM releases ? Dries made some effort to convert SPEC files
to UTF8 format more than a year ago, but does that help or is there
something else we can do to have more consistent metadata end up in the
package ?

Kind regards,