Question about locking packages

Thomas Röhl Thomas.Roehl at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Aug 2 07:39:27 PDT 2006

Hi everybody,

After I read over my mail I realized many things that are confusing.

"We" is the Linux-Department of the University Erlangen-Nürnberg. We
have changed almost all servers and clients to smart running SLES9,
SLES10, OpenSuSE 10.0 and openSuSE 10.1.

"When you lock a package you're asking Smart not to allow these packages
to be changed. If you want to change these packages all you have to do
is unlocking them"

Jop, thats right and thats what we need because we want to lock the
kernel and than install the kernel in a scheduled order through cfengine.

The "soft lock" idea is exactly what we need. If a package is softlocked
than the upgrade process simply writes out the problem at the end and
will not upgrade all the packages. (Like apt: Kept back: 1) We automated
all the smart-stuff an get Emails for every host with their update-status.

I thought about writing a skript around smart to do this, but I thought
that many people could need this too. I normally only use python so
maybe I can write it by myself, but I dont want to read the whole source
code. O:-)

MFG
Thomas Röhl