ksmarttray and updates

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 5 21:07:04 PDT 2006

Christoph Thiel wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Stephen Boddy wrote:
>
> [...]
>>> <my meaningless and wrong-headed tangent deleted>
>> What I should have said is that he insisted he wasn't entering the root
>> password (using the Ignore button on the kdesu dialogue) but KSmartTray
>> would still blink when there were updates. This is what I couldn't
>> understand, as it made no sense from my understanding, tests, and
>> reading of the code.
>
> Right -- don't believe him ;)
>

> Regards
> 	Christoph

Yeah, I wouldn't believe the bum either :-) . He is a native of Elbonia and
therefore has problems with expressing himself in the English language.

If I read it correctly, what he actually stated (in messages you cannot
"say" anything, just "write" or "state", unless it is a 'talking
e-mail') about the usage of the root password was:

QUOTE

SB>> Yeah, I think we're both still not on the same
SB>>wavelength/terminology here TBH. At the risk of flogging the proverbial
SB>>deceased horse:

SB>> There are three pertinant smart operations:
SB>> check    - Is smart cache aware of any updates
SB>> update    - Look for new packages on repos, and update cache
SB>> upgrade    - Install new packages from repos.

SB>> The old (<=10.0) susewatcher tray app could do the equivalent of
SB>>update & check without requiring root password or priv. The Smart
SB>>equivalent of the susewatcher app (ksmarttray) can only do check unless
SB>>you run it as root. I do not want to enter the root password every time
SB>>I login.

BC> Well, we are slowly narrowing it down...

BC> At my end, smart, in the system tray, does do the update and
BC>checking without requiring the root password. When there are updates,
BC>the icon blinks. Only when I want to actually do an upgrade do I need to
BC>enter the root password.

BC> As I mentioned earlier, had you not entered the root password at the
BC>first running of smart - where you had the option of answering IGNORE -
BC>then you will not be asked to enter the root password. In fact, I think,
BC>from memory, you are asked for the root password at every logon so next
BC>time answer IGNORE. smart remembers this setting and won't ask you for
BC>it (it doesn't do it at my end) and the icon in the system tray will be
BC>running in "user mode". (Perhaps re-installing smart might make it
BC>behave 'normally'?)

SB>> By clicking on the ksmarttray I also am able to enter my root
SB>>password, and upgrade packages, but unless I enter my root password
at login

BC> See above.

SB>> I will not see the blinking tray icon to tell me I need to click on
SB>>the thing.

UNQUOTE

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1