ksmarttray and updates

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 9 21:00:53 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 17:12, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > Hello Basil, fancy meeting you here :-D
> >
> > I'm curious what the permissions are on your smart-update binary. It
> > appears that by setting mine to setuid I can run smart as a regular user
> > and get the blinky icon and it works how I want it to. i.e.
> >
> > # ls -la `which smart-update`
> > -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 4464 Jul 30 18:09 /usr/bin/smart-update
> >
> > This is the command that ksmarttray runs every five minutes. This is a
> > small wrapper program for running "smart update --after 60", which will
> > only perform the update if it has been at least 60 minutes since the last
> > update.
> >
> > Regards
>
> The permissions are no different to what you have:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4464 Aug  7 01:25 smart-update
>
> And I haven't touched anything.

Look a little closer Basil. I have set my binary with the suid bit (the s
in -rwsr-xr-x). I made that change, and it is different to yours. It was the
only way I could get ksmarttray to perform the channel update, and then
blink, without running ksmarttray as root.

> As far as being surprised meeting me here, I did suggest that you join
> this forum (or did I suggest this to someone else?).

Yes, it was me, and above I was trying to be funny. Not always successful in
e-mail.

> I don't suggest
> anything to anyone unless I 'been there, done that' myself :-) .

Good job you're not a doctor! "Yes, Mr Reeves, I suggest a triple heart
bypass. I'll do your operation in a couple of months once I've recovered..."
--
Steve Boddy