ksmarttray: first time invocation through menu item?

Andreas Hanke andreas.hanke at gmx-topmail.de
Sun Aug 20 08:18:21 PDT 2006

Hi,

Pascal Bleser schrieb:
> In the smart RPM for SUSE Linux, we include a .desktop files to start
> - smart --gui
> - ksmarttray
> both as root, by specifying:
> X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
> X-KDE-Username=root
> in the .desktop file.
> Note that these attributes are also honored on GNOME (usin gnomesu
> instead of kdesu).

That's a SUSE patch, stock GNOME does not know about X-KDE-SubstituteID.

On RedHat/Fedora, running GUI applications as superuser works
differently through the "consolehelper" program from the "usermode" package.

> To automatically start ksmarttray when logging into KDE, one just needs
> to put a .desktop file into <KDE_PREFIX>/share/autostart/
> On SUSE Linux that's /opt/kde3/share/autostart/

Better use /etc/xdg/autostart, which works with KDE and GNOME and IIRC
even XFCE.

Problem with that approach: It causes ksmarttray to be started at login
even if the user never asked for it. :(

Finally, ksmarttray handles asking the user for the root password when
needed on its own, it does not need X-KDE-SubstituteID in the .desktop
file or something similar. Our usage of X-KDE-SubstituteID is just a
workaround for not being able to make smart-update setuid root.

Andreas Hanke