smart breaks with autofs 5

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Aug 24 08:09:19 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 11:50:10AM -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > autofs5 allows master entries of the form
> >
> > +auto.master
> >
> > E.g. an uncommented one word entry. smart assumes any valid line needs
> > to have two words at least and therefore breaks as in
> >
> > http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-users/2006-August/005716.html
>
> Oops.. you mean this might be in a single line of auto.master
> by itself? What does it mean? The file after the + should be
> processed?

It means that autofs should pull the map auto.master out of NIS and
add it to the /etc/auto.master content. It is obvioulsy an old
practice at Solaris and autofs5 want's to become Solaris compatible
(or make the migration for Solaris users easier).

The mechanisms in autofs5 for constructing the maps are a bit
convoluted involving also /etc/nsswitch.conf. Maybe it's better to
extract the part that constructs the map out of the init script form
autofs5 (I hope it is still done in the init script and not in the C
code).

Wouldn't it be cleaner for smart to interface to autofs through
`/sbin/service autofs status' (or similar) instead of replicating the
autofs' map constructing logic? Consider also that /etc/auto.master
may contain anything while autofs isn't even running.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net