[issue197] Smart Fails on Segmentation Faults

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 26 08:40:59 PDT 2006

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>> What does all this mean? What needs to be done to get smart to work
>> again for me?
>
> This is probably being caused by the recent changes in the RPM
> database you've being making.

I am sorry, but what changes in the RPM database have I been making?

Do you mean that I have installed some RPMs manually and not via smart
because smart kept aborting and then ran SuSEconfig afterwards to keep
the database up-to-date?

(All this is getting quite confusing :-) .)

   Smart caches information from the
> database based on the mtime of the Packages file (perhaps there
> is a most reliable way to do it) and expects it to be unchanged
> unless the mtime has changed as well.
>
> Please try to remove your cache with "rm /var/lib/smart/cache".

In desperation and not knowing what I was doing, I actually took the
plunge day before yesterday and deleted the cache hoping that it would
fix my problem. It didn't.

I saw Stuart's message yesterday and did what he did which was-

rpm --initdb  and

rpm --rebuilddb

but this only produced another error (which I posted in full in an
earlier message).

At this point I just took a chance and executed 'SuSEconfig' - and this
fixed the problem with smart now back to normal.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1