config file readonly

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 05:53:30 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 08:03 -0300, Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) wrote:
> Em Qua, 2006-08-30 às 17:27 +0800, Gavin Chester escreveu:
>
> > error: Configuration is in readonly mode.
>
> IIRC, this error also happens when the channels directory has wrong
> permissions too.
>
> Check the permissions on /var/lib/smart/channels. It should be 755.

Thanks for suggestion. Yes, it was already 755.  In desperation I
changed all files and directories under /var/lib/smart/ to 755 (crazy, I
know) but that made no difference.  I even a changed all my channel
files in /etc/smart/channels to 755 - just being desperate :-(.

This continues to have me stumped.  Odd that I have found it reported by
others but no certain solution or clue as the file(s) to attack.  Is
there perhaps a python file or that I need to look at - I read that
smart differs by not having a plain text config file to edit.

Gavin