config file readonly [Solved]

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 07:14:05 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:24 +0200, oc2pus at arcor.de wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 30. August 2006 14:53 schrieb Gavin Chester:
> > error: Configuration is in readonly mode
>
> The only time you will get the readonly message as superuser is if
> 1) another copy of smart is already running  (ksmarttray !?)
> 2) Yast, apt or some other package management software is currently
> downloading or installing something and has the rpm database tied up
> 3) You are doing a manual rpm -Uvh whatever in another window and once again
> smart can't get exclusive rights to the rpm database.
>
> have fun
> oc2pus

Doh! That was it!  I was using the smart gui when the first error
message appeared about the keyserver.  When it prompted me with a
commandline fix, I just went ahead and tried to run the recommended
command in a terminal without closing down the gui first.  Once I did it
with the gui gone all was good.  Thanks for the hit with the clue
bat :-)

Gavin