Problems with UTF-8 chars

csrabak csrabak at bol.com.br
Sun Dec 10 12:59:38 PST 2006

In a Mandriva 2007 installation, running the smart 0.42 (from smart-0.42-6mdv2007.0.rpm), I'm experiencing a problem when attempting to update certain channels.

For example, right now I added the installation DVD, whose entry is as follows:

# smart channel --show DVD
[DVD]
type = urpmi
name = Mandriva 2007
removable = yes
baseurl = file:///mnt/cdrom/i586/media/
hdlurl = file:///mnt/cdrom/i586/media/media_info/

Once I click 'update select channel' (in fact the Portuguese equivalent) I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/fetcher.py", line 823, in copy
    error = unicode(e)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 11-12: invalid data

Very similar to some other entries in my channels, so this is not an isolated case.

Searching in the Internet I've found only mention to Python related stuff, which due the date of the postings and version of Python do not seem to relate to my trouble.

have you a hint on how to solve this?

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak