help, please -- lost the ability to run smart

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Tue Dec 12 00:00:42 PST 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
> Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> Earlier I did what I believe was 'smart update' followed by
>> 'smart upgrade'.  There were some other packages, as well as
>> smart, in what got installed.
>>
>> Subsequently when I try smart, nothing doing.  Console output:
>>
>> ~# smart --help
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
>>     from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
>> ImportError: No module named smart
>> ~#
>>
>> 'rpm -e' of smart followed by 'rpm -i' of smart doesn't help.
>>
>> 'rm -r /var/lib/smart' doesn't help.
>>
>> What should I try now ???
>
> I'd like to know as well :-) .
>
> The icon in the tray has been on "Updating channels..." for about 2
> hours now and counting..... :-( .
>
> All was fine until smart upgraded itself.

Well, just to make sure: remove all smart* and smart-beta* packages
and reinstall smart-0.49.1 (your config, channels, etc... will be kept
unless you rm -rf /var/lib/smart/*)

Worked fine for me and a few other people who tested it so... YMMV and
s..t happens ;)

Also, from the error message above, make sure you have the right
package for your architecture.
"No module named smart" is just plain impossible.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <pascal.bleser at skynet.be>       <guru at unixtech.be>