help, please -- lost the ability to run smart

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Dec 12 12:24:23 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:33:48 -0300 "Mauricio Teixeira (netmask)" <netmask at webset.net> wrote:
> Em Ter, 2006-12-12 =C3=A0s 09:00 +0100, Pascal Bleser escreveu:
>
> > "No module named smart" is just plain impossible.
>
> It can happen if you install i586 package on x86_64 system, or py2.4
> package on a system running py2.5. Not impossible. :)

Accomplished a partial recovery:

 -  Erased all vestiges of 'smart' from my system

 -  Installed 'smart' (x86_64) from the original 10.1 distribution DVD

 -  Accessed the guru repository for SUSE 10.1

 -  Installed smart 0.41-28  (x86_64)

--------

Note:  For __every__ version of 'smart' (on guru) newer than 0.41-28,
       when I clicked on 'install' of the x86_64 package, smart would
       tell me that it would  IN ADDITION  need to download and install
       the i586 package (same-named) as well.  That is why I did not
       attempt to upgrade to anything newer than 0.41-28.

       I don't know if it is the 'smart' packages that are at fault,
       or my system environment, but I consider it a  CRITICAL BUG
       if asking for an upgrade on an x86_64 system can ("under the
       covers") result in installing something from i586 package !!!

mikus  (SUSE 10.1 x86_64)