AW: Re: Using smart with multi disc install

Christian Metzen metzench at ccux-linux.de
Mon Dec 18 04:14:40 PST 2006

Hi Gustavo,

thanks for your rapid answer.

--------- Original-Nachricht --------
Von: Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net>
An: Christian Metzen <metzench at ccux-linux.de>
Cc: smart at labix.org
Betreff: Re: Using smart with multi disc install
Datum: 18/12/06 13:48

> > Right now, we are moving towards the next CCux Linux release. This
> > would be the seconf one after 0.9.8 that uses smart in the
> > installation process too.
>
> That's very cool!

Indeed, our users really love smart.

> Smart has a nice system to deal with that situation, and there's a
> good reason for that.  My plan was to use Smart in Conectiva's
> installer when I wrote it.  After debugging and polishing the
> installation procedure many times in Conectiva, I was trying to build
> a method that wouldn't require so much effort preparing the
> installation CDs.
>
> The result is a system that:
>
> - Only needs each CD inserted once;
> - Doesn't care about the order in which you provide CDs;
> - Will always keep the system in a "safe" state when exchanging
CDs;
> - Caches packages that can't be installed without additional
>   dependencies into the hard disk until these dependencies are
>   available (IOW, the CD containing them is inserted).
>
> With that in mind, I belive you'll find it somewhat easy to handle
> this situation.  Maybe there are a few details here and there to be
> handled, since this hasn't been used after I implemented it, but it
> shouldn't be hard, and I'll be happy to see it working.

Can you explain this a little bit more in detail? I didn't find any option
or setup switch in smart that provides this.

Would be really nice to have some small clues about that, makes it easier to
implement this asap, because i really need to get this release ready.

Another one. Our Installation currently uses a QT based Installer, is there
a way to have some feedback from smart process that runs via a system call?
Disk Changes etc. should be noticed somehow, and perhaps this would be the
time to integrate some more debbuging into the smart installation process
because right now, it's mostly the "sort and forgot" way! :-)

--
Regards,
                      -\\\\-   Christian Metzen   -/-

Developer and Project Lead for CCux Linux.
 check out http://www.ccux-linux.de/ for more info.
EMAIL : metzench at ccux-linux.de