distributions which embed channel information

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Dec 12 12:47:39 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:00:42 +0100 Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser at skynet.be> wrote:
> > Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> >> ~# smart --help
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>   File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in ?
> >>     from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco
> >> ImportError: No module named smart
> >> ~#
>
> Well, just to make sure: remove all smart* and smart-beta* packages
> and reinstall smart-0.49.1 (your config, channels, etc... will be kept
> unless you rm -rf /var/lib/smart/*)
>
> Worked fine for me and a few other people who tested it so... YMMV and
> s..t happens ;)

[When (using 'smart') I tried reinstalling an 0.49 version of the
 x86_64 package, it told me it had to ALSO install the i586 package
 as well.  That's why I ended up installing only smart 0.41-28.]

The reason I'm posting here is to point out a complication resulting
from "embedding" the channel information in the distribution package.
Installing a SUSE-specific smart package will __override__ exisiting
/etc/smart/channels content.

Unfortunately, since I had to install a deprecated package, it
altered the channel information to the way it was when that package
was built, *not* to the way the repositories are found Dec 2006.

mikus  (SUSE 10.1 x86_64)