Problems with UTF-8 chars

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Sun Dec 10 16:18:45 PST 2006

> Very similar to some other entries in my channels, so this is not an
> isolated case.

> Searching in the Internet I've found only mention to Python related
> stuff, which due the date of the postings and version of Python do not
> seem to relate to my trouble.
>
> have you a hint on how to solve this?

This is a trivial issue to be solved.  Your channels are reporting
an error in a non-english language and Smart is bailing out while
trying to convert this into a unicode string.

That's not a problem in the channel, but in the way that Smart tries
to convert the string to Unicode.  Since there's no way to tell what
encoding is being used by the remote site, Smart shouldn't blindly
try to use ASCII, but instead should either remove unknown characters,
or try to guess what encoding they're in.

It shouldn't just "pass-through" this data, though, as we need a
predictable encoding to be able to show in the GUI and in the
terminal in a sane way.

We've been fixing this issue for a while, since there are many
places where this kind of problem may be seen. We'll continue to
do that.

Thanks for reporting this,

--
Gustavo Niemeyer