How to get rid of this error?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Fri Dec 15 06:22:26 PST 2006

Andreas Hanke wrote:
> Basil Chupin schrieb:
>> I've had this plaguing me for 3 days now:
>>
>> file /usr/lib/libmp4v2.so.0.0.0 from install of faac-1.25-2.0 conflicts
>> with file from package libmp4v2-1.4.1-4.pm.1
>>

>> and, of course, this conflict stops any other unrelated upgrades,
>> downloaded at the same time as this faac, from being processed so I end
>> up doing those other upgrades manually.
>>
>> How do I stop this faac being "upgraded"? Trying to delete this package
>> also triggers the need to delete other required and used applications.
>>
>> Going around in circles here :-) .
>
> You are using conflicting repositories.
>
> faac comes from a different repository than libmp4v2. The problem here
> is that faac likes to ship its own, private copy of libmp4v2.so.0.0.0
> (which is evil per se).
>
> Packman correctly removes that, but you're obviously using some other
> repository that ships a broken faac. You can solve this properly by
> giving the good packages a higher priority than the bad ones.
>
> An alternative is locking, either by locking the bad faac in uninstalled
> state or by locking the good one in installed state. IMHO the worse
> solution, but it will work, too.
>
> Btw. problems like these are not new; check the mailing list archives.
> You can, as is well known in the archives, just use rpm-force=True if
> you don't care about file conflicts.
>
> Packman has a good faac without libmp4v2.so.0.0.0. You can use that, but
> you might have to "downgrade" to it because it has a lower release
> number (as we all know, the release number isn't useful for
> "older"/"newer" comparisons between different repositories)

Thank you for sorting this one out for me.

I am using Packman for faac (and much more :-) ).

Everything was fine until I bought myself a few days ago a digital TV
tuner and am trying to get it working under Linux. Am trying to figure
out how to get MythTV to work with it and while doing this exercise came
across (or did I read about it in opensuse?) an app. called VLC Media
Player from videoLAN.org. I added videolan.org to the channels to try
and get all the files associated with VLC - and this is where the wheels
fell off :-) . VLC has faac - which is the copy that caused the above
foul-up. I removed videolan from the channels and now it's all OK.

Thank you again for the help.

Cheers.

--
In a period of great joy and pleasure you are comforted by the thought
that tragedy is just around the corner.