/boot, excuse me?

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 10:19:08 PST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>> What might be a bug in Smart is that only the first of the packages
>> he's installing goes into /boot There, it reports not having enough
>> space, which is as expected.
>>
>> But then Smart seems to try to install the following packages as well
>> (which might be a bug or not).  What looks like an issue with Smart,
>> to me, is that the installation of the subsequent packages (that do
>> _not_ go into /boot) gives the same error output although they are
>> not
>> installed into /boot
>>
>> Maybe the error handling is affected in this case, repeating the same
>> message with every package (variable not properly resetted, maybe ?)
>
> Yes, I understand that this might be a possibility, but no, that's not
> the case either. The error message is completely generated by RPM, and
> the transaction is run as a single step (not for each package).

Yep, the lack of disk space is an rpm, not a smart, error and is
reported against all,
not just the first, package in the transaction, which is confusing if
the message returned
by rpm-python is simply splatted onto the screeen.

I do point out that the (possible, there are bigger flaws in decting
disk space in rpmlib)
  error was detected and reported.

73 de Jeff