[issue123] smart can't use proxy

Zach Garner at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Mon Feb 20 06:37:32 PST 2006

Zach Garner <zach at awarix.com> added the comment:

Yes - Using FTP with a proxy and Not using Curl does not work. HTTP
and HTTPS with or without Curl seems to work.

The reason (apparently) is that FTP in Smart is handled by ftplib.
Http and Https are handled by urllib. If curl is installed, curl
handles ftp, http and https. From some google searches it seems that
ftplib doesn't support proxies.

It looks like the code once used urllib to do FTP, but that has been
commented out.

If curl is not working for you, or you don't want to use it, you may
want to see if enabling urllib for FTP works. Unfortunately, the only
way I know how to do this is by editing the code (fetcher.py). Just
disable the FTPLIBHandler, and enable "ftp" for the URLLIBHandler.

We are using Curl with Smart at my company because it provides more
features (primarily authentication mechanisms with HTTPS) and I
honestly trust that part of the code more than URLLIBHandler. I think
Smart is better off sticking to just the Curl handler instead of
FTPLIBHandler, URLLIBHandler and URLLIB2Handler...