One option smart needs to conquer the world

Zach Garner zach at awarix.com
Wed Feb 22 09:14:42 PST 2006

Alternative Policies for 'smart upgrade' would probably be a good
thing. For instance, I would really like a policy similar to 'apt
upgrade' that does not Remove packages. (apt dist-upgrade is used for
an upgrade that can install and remove packages)

If there was an option that would prevent downgrading, then the
packager of smart for fedora could choose to enable it by default, if
they are so concerned. But users could choose what they want.

Honestly, I could understand some concern. One package that we use at
my company will potentially modify a database schema on an upgrade. We
haven't implemented logic (which would take quiet a bit of development
time) that would do the right thing for a downgrade. There's also no
way that I know for a packager to specify that their package should
not be downgraded.