One option smart needs to conquer the world

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Feb 22 10:16:17 PST 2006

> Alternative Policies for 'smart upgrade' would probably be a good
> thing. For instance, I would really like a policy similar to 'apt
> upgrade' that does not Remove packages. (apt dist-upgrade is used for
> an upgrade that can install and remove packages)
>
> If there was an option that would prevent downgrading, then the
> packager of smart for fedora could choose to enable it by default, if
> they are so concerned. But users could choose what they want.

That's a crazy world. One of the reasons I wrote Smart was to avoid
explosion when merely downgrading a package would fix the transaction.
As a user (perhaps a non-conventional one), I always hated having to
figure out why the transaction wouldn't work myself.

Is that what users want?  Not peforming an operation at all rather than
being *ASKED* to downgrade a package?  If that's the case, I'll
implement the flag in Smart that disables that support (and perhaps
rename the project...).

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net