One option smart needs to conquer the world

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Feb 22 12:52:11 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 01:33:26PM -0600, Zach Garner wrote:
> Primarily, I was just trying to suggest a compromise. If the Fedora
> people are freaking out over the ability of smart to downgrade a
> package, then let them have the option of disabling it.

No, that's an exaggeration, the majority of the Fedora smart users are
very happy about this feature, and the ones whining about it are
usually non-smart users at all and will never become such, because
their bitching is due to political my-depsolver-is-better-than-your-
depsolver issues. We had that with apt and we see that again with
smart.

So as soon as you try to make them happy, they find something else
that smart supposedly is doing wrong and should be doing differently.

Something that strikes in particular in this discussion is that yum is
not capable of considering past releases of a package at all due to
design bugs (it throws all "unneccessary" old packages out of the
first pass calculation). So what's easier than to declare a bug to a
feature :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net