[issue89] Can't unselect package identified for upgrade

Mikus Grinbergs at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Fri Jan 20 19:51:23 PST 2006

Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> added the comment:

Turns out my original problem was mainly caused by myself.  Although I had
changed the priority on the two new instances of that package that I knew of,
there was a third instance of a new version of that package in yet ANOTHER
repository (that I did not realize was there).  And, after I had made the two
priority changes, it was this THIRD instance that smart wanted to upgrade my
system with.

Let me modify the substance of this issue I have posted.  Instead of me saying
"I can't unselect package identified for upgrade", I will now say "I can't
quickly identify which repository smart proposes to upgrade a package from".  I
assure you that it took me a LOT of "fooling around" (and away_from_the_computer
thinking) for me to realize what was going on!

It was by mere chance that I did a right-mouse-button click on the package and
noticed that on the bottom of the pop-down menu then shown, there was the entry
'priority'.  And when I clicked on THAT entry, the window that opened appeared
to have a field in which I could assign a priority to a REPOSITORY, not just to
an individual package.

WHY obscure the existence of this *powerful* priority-affecting window?  And WHY
in smart --gui have Edit -> Priority in the first place, if it provides LESS
function than the right-mouse-button_on_a_package -> priority capability?
.

status: unread -> chatting