[issue93] What does smart mean with updating cache?

Richard Bos at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Sun Jan 22 12:21:31 PST 2006

New submission from Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

What does smart mean with updating cache?  Does it retrieve new information
from an online server, see:

linux:/usr/share/doc/packages/apt/lua-scripts/gpg-check> smart search yast2-tv
Updating cache...           ######################################## [100%]

yast2-tv - YaST2 - TV Configuration

linux:/usr/share/doc/packages/apt/lua-scripts/gpg-check> smart search yast2
Updating cache...         ######################################## [100%]

Why is the 2nd time the cache updated?  Does smart use a local cache, if so
where is it stored?  This is as regular user so the local cached if owned by
root can not be updated.

This was discussed on the opensuse list too, answer:
Why smart loads/updates/saves the cache all the time? What is this cache
anyway?
http://labix.org/smart/faq#head-176755c0475d8090d9be199927d41febc9d7918e

Not clear.  I understand the loading I think (reading data from disk), but
what is it doing during update.  Does it contact the server and retrieve data
from there, or is doing something else.

and:

 Op maandag 9 januari 2006 10:01, schreef Mauricio Teixeira:
> > what is it doing during update.  Does it contact the server and retrieve
> > data from there, or is doing something else.
>
> It checks if something changed, like the rpm database or any other file
> from any other channel (stored on /var/lib/smart/channels). If it
> detects any changes, it reads everything (rpm database and channel
> files) to reconstruct the data. It only retrieves files from network
> when you do an 'update'.

Could the text be changed from 'Updating cache' to 'Updating local cache' or
do not show the '#########'.  I (and others I think) associate those  '#####'
with downloading (retrieving) data from a remote server.

messages: 259
nosy: rbos
priority: bug
project: smart
status: unread
title: What does smart mean with updating cache?