alternative arch selection?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Jan 13 10:36:03 PST 2006

[...]
> Using yum, I could install package.i386 to select a i386 package
> from the command line.
>
> Does smart have a similar capability?

Yes, you can use "smart install package at i386". Originally it was a dot
as well, but, as informed in the README file of the rpm backend, we got
some real world problems using it:

- Package versions must have the architecture appended as
  @arch. We can't use '.' as the separator because this is
  a character present in many package releases, thus we
  wouldn't be able to tell if we're looking at an
  archiutecture or a part of a release, when dealing with
  provides.

> Also, does it know to prefer x86_64 > packages?

Yes, it does.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net