[issue51] More friendly gui ?

Michael Mansour mic at npgx.com.au
Wed Jan 18 18:43:13 PST 2006

Hi,

> On Wednesday 18 January 2006 5:19 pm, Michael Mansour wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > > jon <linux.learner at gmail.com> added the comment:
> > >
> > > web based is an option. but that might require a daemon (not sure on
> > > that). it would certainly require smart to listen on a particular
> > > port from local host
> > > (mush the same way X listens to port 6000).
> >
> > One of the main things I like about yum, is an add-on called pakiti (used
> > to be called yumit). Nightly checks are run in the normal way, but are
> > logged to a MySQL database which can be viewed via a webpage, so you can
> > see which systems (almost any linux based systems) which need updating from
> > a webpage.
> >
> There are many yum guis.  FC5 comes with yumex, which is pretty good.

Yes I know, but I'm not coming from the angle of a desktop user.

None of the yum gui's give you a web page view of your entire environment,
pakiti is the only one that does. When you're running a large number of
servers (anywhere from 5 - 1000's), local gui's are of no help and a wholistic
view of the environment one of the only things that matters.

That's basically where I'm coming from.

Michael.