Keeping files downloaded by Smart

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jan 20 14:50:30 PST 2006

A cautionary followup:

After using

smart config --set remove-packages=false

smart does use the file that has been downloaded if, for example, one
selects a reinstall - as I had hoped.

But a reinstall hoping to use a file saved by synaptic that has been
copied into the smart packages folder will instead reload the file from
the external repository.

It looks as if this happens because files from smart get filenames of
the form

name-version.arch.rpm

but those from synaptic are called

name_version_arch.rpm

After I had renamed a 9 MB file saved by synaptic to conform with what
smart had said it expected a test reinstallation completed successfully
- but the process is less automatic than I had hoped.

HTH

John Pilkington