How about a Smart Package Format?

Johannes Kastl ojkastl at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:50:12 PDT 2006

Am 19.07.2006 01:46 schrieb Gustavo Niemeyer:

> So far you only mentioned that we could make something else, something
> better.  Why would it be better?  Why would it be used at all?

I understand Josephs point of view, and I understand yours.

On one hand it would be nice not to look for rpms for exactly your
system, or debs for exactly your system, but to be able to install
*all* you find. It would be a very nice and very easy way of
installing applications.

But on the other hand I understand your objections:

There are so many differences between the different systems (KDE in
/opt/ on Suse systems, or the /etc/init.d/rcX.d/ vs. /etc/rcX.d/
thing, to name two examples) that it would be a long way to achieve this.

I do hope that there will be some kind of "standard", so that all
distributions will unify the places they put their packages to. But,
as you said regarding rpm/deb, people using rpm have reasons for that,
and vice versa with deb.

So I fear that might be only a dream, but who knows? ;-)

OJ
P.S.: I tried to sent this mail via gmane.org, but apparently it has
not reached the list. Is this not possible? Or did I just screw it up? ;-)
--
`You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the
so-called purity of blood. You fail to recognise that it matters not