No Upgrades by uninstalling anything else

Michael Schueller schueller-berlin at gmx.de
Mon Jul 24 01:55:17 PDT 2006

Am Montag, 24. Juli 2006 07:32 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> Michael Schueller wrote:
> > I´m using smart on SuSE 10.1 to upgrade and install packages
> > from the Distribustion Repo and from packman.
> > Untill the following the handling is much like apt, exept this
> > Point.
> >
> > Sometimes it happens that there is a new package available
> > which has, at this time, broken dependance to anything else.
> > What smart does then is, to uninstall on ore more packages to
> > install the one which is newer.
> >
> > For example...
> >
> > A few weeks ago there came out a new version of x264 .
> > To upgrade to this version smart was about to uninstall
> > avidemux and mplayer.
> > In this situation apt was allways keeping back those packages,
> > to keep the installation running.
> >
> > So, is this a bug, or is there a way to tell smart not to
> > uninstall anything for something else which is newer ?
>
> The problem was in the packages, not in smart.
>
> The new x264 package ships a new shared library (e.g.
> libx264.so.2) that is incompatible with the previous package
> (that had e.g. libx264.so.1).
>
> mplayer and avidemux in the Packman repository were still built
> against the old package (hence, libx264.so.1).
> Because you told smart to upgrade x264 to the newest version, the
> old shared library libx264.so.1 would be removed and, hence,
> mplayer and avidemux wouldn't work any more, which is why smart
> is proposing to remove those packages.

Hello Pascal,
sorry but the problem is a bit different.

I haven´t told smart to upgrade x264, i just did a
smart upgrade --update

Now, smart should see that the new x264 is incompatible with other
packages which are allready installed.
Not the other packages are incompatible to the new, and that´s why
we install the new and remove the others, it should say instead
there is a new package but it doesen´t fit into the rest.
This is what apt did in those cases.
Apt was keeping back new packages if they don´t fit to the rest,
untill everything else is present in a new version to, so we can
upgrade all packages.
The only way to install anything, which would cause to uninstall
anything else, was tosay <apt install x264>
But a simple upgrade would have never uninstall anything just
because of a single lib which i now present in a newer version