[issue176] cd channel

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Sun Jun 18 08:38:31 PDT 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> > >I just compared
> > >ftp://opensuse.mirrors.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensuse.org/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/content
> > >to that on the SUSE cd. They are exactly the same. Also Fedora uses
> > >repodata (rpm-md).
> >
> >rpm-md isn't used on the SUSE CDs or DVDs. It's only used in the ftp
> >trees.
>
> Any particularly reason other than no round 'tuits? I'm patiently
> collecting rpm-md wartlets, there are any number of deficiencies in the
> representation.

It was done this way, because when we started playing around with rpm-md,
there wasn't any "distributed media support" in rpm-md and we were facing
significant performance (mainly because of memory usage) issues with
rpm-md. The YaST metadata format's main advantage is, that you can easily
seek through the metadata, which saves a lot of memory (which might be
very limited at installation time, were you don't have swap yet).

If you are interested in a list of problems that we experienced with
rpm-md, we should probably take this discussion to the rpm-metadata
mailinglist and try to agree on some fixes & extensions. (We at Novell
have already added quite some extensions to rpm-md, which we use for our
online update repositories. Unfortunately it's still lacking some decent
documentation.)

> >The CD change problem is an known issue with the yast2 channel support.
> >

> Hmmm, I can describe how the multi-cd swapping problem is solved in
> anaconda if you wish.

That would be interesting -- I don't know if there is any logic in smart
to minimize the number of CD changes, and stuff like that.

Regards
	Christoph