[issue176] cd channel

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Mon Jun 19 06:41:58 PDT 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> >If you are interested in a list of problems that we experienced with
> >rpm-md, we should probably take this discussion to the rpm-metadata
> >mailinglist and try to agree on some fixes & extensions. (We at Novell
> >have already added quite some extensions to rpm-md, which we use for
> >our online update repositories. Unfortunately it's still lacking some
> >decent documentation.)
>
> I'm interested in problems, but I believe the politics of rpm-md have
> doomed the format forevermore, better markup is needed instead. I've
> currently implemented --yaml in rpm-4.4.7 which is already 60% of the
> size of the equivalent (and rather terser than what is in rpm-md) dump
> in --xml. Even the compressed yaml metadata if 10% smaller than the
> equivalent xml.
>
> But by all means, suggest your extensions on rpm-metadata. I love to see
> vendor flame wars! ;-)

I'm not really keen on a vendor flame war -- but we should probably
discuss rpm-md and it's challenges ;) [But not until we are done with SUSE
Linux Enterprise {Server,Desktop} 10.]

> > >Hmmm, I can describe how the multi-cd swapping problem is solved in
> > >anaconda if you wish.
> >
> >That would be interesting -- I don't know if there is any logic in
> >smart to minimize the number of CD changes, and stuff like that.
>
> For hysterical Conectiva related reasons smart overloads PreReq:
> dependency flags with some CD switching semantics, I've forgot the
> details.
>
> Since PreReq: has (finally!) been ripped out of rpm, a better
> implementation in smart will eventually be needed.
>
> Otherwise smart has probably the best known (by me) solution for
> multiple cd swapping.

Alright, so we will probably only need to fix the yast2 channel support to
make use of smart's abilities then.

Regards
	Christoph