Uninstalling package on which others depend

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue May 2 10:22:46 PDT 2006

Had a system with the 'gimp' package installed.  Wanted to "free up"
my system from that package.

The best that 'smart --gui' would do was to offer to remove 'gimp',
but to simultaneously replace it with 'gimp-unstable'.  [Apparently
it thought 'meeting dependencies' was MORE important than acting on
the user's 'remove' instruction.]

So I tried 'apt-get remove'.  It __identified__ all the installed
packages that depended on 'gimp'.  I told it to go ahead and remove.

Is there a SIMPLE way to "manipulate" 'smart --gui', to convince it
that I meant "remove 'gimp' and the packages that depend on it" ?

mikus