Useability of smart --gui when only partial download

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu May 18 02:27:02 PDT 2006

In my experience, changes to some SuSE 10.0 repositories often
exhibit problems.  Started smart --gui, did a channel update,
asked for upgrades to be "marked", and let 'er rip.  Smart
eventually told me that it could not find (404) several of those
"marked" packages at the repository.

What I ended up doing was View -> Hide unmarked, and manually
'unmark' the packages that failed to download -- by specifying
'Keep' (i.e., don't download) against those repository entries;
*plus* specifying 'Keep' (i.e., don't delete) against the affected
installed packages which were to be upleveled.  THEN smart went
ahead and installed the remaining "marked" packages (which it
*had* downloaded o.k.).

This involved a fair bit of status switching of individual packages.
Is there a __simpler__ way to have smart --gui COMPLETE the install
of those packages which it had downloaded o.k., even though SOME of
the original "marked" list were *not* successfully downloaded ??

Thanks,  mikus