customization: by package vs. by user

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu May 25 11:33:40 PDT 2006

I'm an "early adopter" of smart on SuSE 10.0.  I had to
decide_upon/create my own files in /etc/smart/channels.

Lately, updates of the 'smart' package for SuSE 10.0
have supplied ever more __canned__ files to be added
to /etc/smart/channels.  Two problems:

 -  Some of the added channels are ones I DO NOT WANT !!!

 -  Many many 'mirrors' are being added.  I have a SLOW
    dial-up line;  Having to fetch the "indexes" (when
    new packages are made available) from all those
    additional repositories really SLOWS DOWN 'update'.

What I am asking for is a way to HAVE UPGRADE NOT TOUCH
the /etc/smart/channels directory contents -- I *like*
them the way I already have them !!

mikus