[issue147] smart's fetcher.py needs keep-alive and serialization support

Axel Thimm at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Thu May 11 12:08:50 PDT 2006

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> added the comment:

> Opening new connections for each package, while not ideal, shouldn't
> kill a web server, should it?

If (when) 60 concurrent smart users open 10-20 connections simultaneously it
runs oom.

> If you belive that 5 is really a bad idea, let's talk. I'm open to reducing
> this limit.

I think per IP it should be exactly one. Anything else is abusing the server's
resources for no gain. The client does get the bits faster than other concurrent
clients, though, but at the cost of the total bandwidth and server resources.

> Have you tested Smart with pycurl?  It should reuse connections
> automatically, like you're suggesting.

No, I haven't. It looks like pycurl is automatically detected at run-time, so
all I need to do is package pycurl?