Useability of smart --gui when only partial download

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu May 18 19:27:00 PDT 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006 06:21:39 -0700 regus_patoff at razzolink.com wrote:
> I occasionally have the problem described and what I do is update the
> channels, again,  then I repeat the update and everything seems to
> download and install, ok. I don't know what the problem is or where it
> is. It doesn't happen enough to me to be more than a nuisance.

That assumes that the "keepers" of the repository have become aware
of the problem, and have submitted fixes.  [There appears to be at
least one SuSE 10.0 3rd party repository in which problems sometimes
are not resolved for days and days.]

For me, the reason I use 'smart --gui' over 'apt-get' is that I use
"Hide old" to look at "what's changed" at the repositories -- in
case I want to "brand new install" some sort of up-to-date package
which I didn't have on my system before.  Of course, if I update
the channels again, that wipes out what gets shown as "new" -- so I
need to do the "Hide old" exam before each 'update'.  Multiplies the
bother.  [Also, I didn't create a large /var partition, and if I
leave uninstalled those packages which smart has downloaded, that
for me chews up a significant amount of room in my /var.]

mikus