How's support on SuSE10.2?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 15 23:35:09 PST 2006

Andreas Hanke wrote:
> Basil Chupin schrieb:
>> I haven't read any previous posts re this matter. But if you are
>> suggesting that it is possible to install Pascal's 10.1 version of smart
>> in 10.2 and then simply manually configure the channels
>
> No, I am not suggesting this because this is wrong and cannot work.
>
>> then the problem with this idea is that smart will not
>> install in 10.2 because of a dependency error--from memory it's to do
>> with glib where version (?)<2.9 is needed by smart.
>
> Yes, there are many dependency errors, and these errors are strictly
> speaking not errors, but 100% correct because a binary package for 10.1
> can never work on 10.2. The libraries and, most importantly, the Python
> interpreter changed too much.
>
> What I am suggesting is that you use the packages provided on the
> installation CD set. These packages do not have any channels
> pre-configured, but you can just add yours easily, either through the
> command-line or through the GUI or through custom *.channel files.
>
> This is easily done because there are basically just three channels
> available (inst-source, inst-source-extra, inst-source-debug) and most
> users need exactly one of them (inst-source).

I don't remember why I couldn't get the smart which comes with 10.2 beta
2 to work (and at the moment I cannot go to that installation to check
it out) but I ended up installing today the smart rpm which Pascal has
put together for 10.2 with the intention of putting in the correct
channels for the 10.2 beta 2 upgrades.

The rpm installed OK without any problems - but that's were it all stops
:-( . Trying to run any of the smart options, eg update, results in the
error message, "Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialised (version
mismatch?). (And there is no smart Package Manager/Updater icon showing
up under System/Configuration so I can only try and run it from a
command line.)

Now, to my inexpert eyes the inside of the installed RPM shows that it
is using the version of python installed with 10.2 beta - version 2.5 -
and just the fact that the smart RPM installed without dependency
problems means that there should not be errors re python. So, can anyone
- ?Pascal - suggest what may be going wrong?

Cheers.

--
If you really want to know, you won't ask me.