Smart / rpm hanging

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 22 10:56:30 PST 2006

This is related to some earlier messages on the list re. smart hanging.
Sorry its not threaded, I deleted the earlier messages before deciding
to reply :-)

On my FC6 machine, I am having similar problems. I noticed today that
rkhunter was executing rpm -q for system binaries every morning, and
those rpm invocations sometimes hang (which of course then causes smart
to hang as well). Of course, this was never a problem on my Fedora
system until very recently but it lends support to the assertion that
smart is not at fault -- there is something more fundamentally wrong
with the new kernel/rpm system in Fedora.

By the way, I also do not use yum at all, and as far as I know have no
scheduled yum jobs -- I prefer smart.

Cheers,
Raman