Smart / rpm hanging

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 23 09:20:39 PST 2006

Mauricio Teixeira (netmask) wrote:
> Em Qua, 2006-11-22 às 13:56 -0500, Raman Gupta escreveu:
>
>> rkhunter was executing rpm -q for system binaries every morning, and
>
> What is this program about? Can you disable it?

rkhunter is "Root Kit Hunter" -- it searches for root kits and
compares system binary hashes with its database:

http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html

I think it calls rpm -q to display the package name of files with
non-matching hashes in its report. Yes, I can disable it, but I'm
going to monitor the situation for a while first...

An rpm -V rpm showed some inconsistencies with soft links in
/usr/lib/rpm/ -- after fixing those, rpm seems to be more stable but
we'll see...

Cheers,
Raman