mirrors vs. time taken by 'smart update'

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Nov 14 17:08:14 PST 2006

On SUSE 10.1 the latest 0.50rc1-4 tried to install mirrors for
various channels.  I had to tell it "NO!"

I'm on a slow dial-up line.  Already, when I run 'smart update',
it typically takes more than 30 minutes for that to complete.
[On SUSE 9.3, 'apt-get update' typically took less than 15 min.]
I'm afraid that if my system had to download even more repository
indexes (for those additional mirrors) each time their respective
repository contents were changed, it might take &deity; knows how
long to perform an 'update'.

mikus