new 'fetch' warnings & repo errors on update?

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Fri Nov 10 09:17:53 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:51:23PM +0100, Andreas Hanke wrote:
> Pascal Bleser schrieb:
> > Ermm... download.opensuse.org and software.opensuse.org are *redirectors*.
> > You can just use those URLs and will always be round-robined on mirrors.
> >
> > While my smart package includes explicit mirrors for those URLs,
> > they're not really needed.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > People are supposed to use download.opensuse.org, which is
> > automatically redirected to a mirror.
>
> Why do people so often end up on ftp.opensuse.org when using
> download.opensuse.org?
>
> This is obviously the case for the reporter and just now I tried again,
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1 sends me directly to
> ftp.opensuse.org and it's damn slow.
>
> I don't need to be told that these URLs are *redirectors*, I know this,
> yet still the best results can be achieved by avoiding them completely.

Let me shed some light on this. The redirector has a local cache that is
currently a bit suboptimal. I'm working on a rewrite of the whole redirector
logic behind download.openSUSE.org / software.openSUSE.org, which should
improve the overall situation soon. Please be patient with us :)

Best,
Christoph